Notice: While installing Tao ExDOS on Windows 7, 8 or 10, you might see a message stating the file came from an unknown source. This is due to security changes in the operating systems starting from January 1st, 2016. The issue is being taken care of on our end and should be fixed within the next few days. The files can be installed safely and are digitally signed as they always are.
KB10004: Tao ExDOS on Windows 7 64-bit with Virtual XP Mode
Versions: Ultimate, Standard, Print
Keywords: 64-bit, 64bit, windows 7, xp mode, virtual pc, setup, install, kb10004
Tao ExDOS products work seamlessly on Windows 7 64-bit versions by using the integrated Virtual XP Mode, which is available as a free download from Microsoft. For more information about the Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual XP Mode products, please visit the following Microsoft product page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/.
Tao ExDOS supports Windows 7 64-bit using the Virtual XP Mode on the following Windows versions:
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
Windows 7 Starter and Home Premium versions are not supported by Virtual XP Mode!
To work with Tao ExDOS products on Windows 7 64-bit, an installation of Virtual XP Mode is required. To install the Virtual XP Mode on Windows 7 64-bit, please follow these instructions:
- Visit the Virtual XP Mode download page:
- Select your version of Windows 7 and the language you wish to use.
- Download and install all three components of Virtual XP Mode in the following order:
a. Virtual XP Mode
b. Windows Virtual PC (KB958559)
c. Virtual XP Mode Update (KB977206) - not needed if you are running Windows 7 SP1.
- For complete instructions on downloading and installing the Virtual PC components, please consult the Microsoft Support page:
- After the installation procedure has been completed successfully, run the Virtual XP Mode:
a. Go to the Start Menu.
b. Click on 'All Programs'.
c. Open the 'Windows Virtual PC' folder.
d. Run 'Virtual XP Mode'.
- The Virtual XP Mode License Agreement window will be shown. Read the license agreement, enable the checkmark for "I accept the license terms" and click Next.
- Enter password for the Virtual XP Mode and click Next.
- Select whether or not you want Windows XP to turn on Automatic Updates and click Next.
- Click Start Setup. The Virtual XP Mode setup will begin. This process might take a few minutes.
- After the setup procedure is complete, a Windows XP desktop window will be displayed.
- To work with printers and network mapping, please set them up inside the Virtual XP Mode as you would with any Windows XP installation.
- Install the Tao ExDOS product you wish to use inside the Virtual XP Mode window. For complete instructions on Tao ExDOS installation, please visit our Knowledge Base articles:
a. KB10001 for Tao ExDOS Trial Version.
b. KB10002 for Tao ExDOS Release.
- After the Tao ExDOS installation and activation procedure has been completed successfully, setup the shortcuts for your DOS applications. Consult the following Knowledge Base article for further help:
KB10003: Tao ExDOS First Steps - Setting up a shortcut for a DOS application.
- Close the Virtual XP Mode window. This will return you to the Windows 7 64-bit desktop.
- A new shortcut for 'Tao ExDOS (Virtual XP Mode)' should now appear on your Windows 7 64-bit desktop. Any shortcut for DOS software created will appear in this window.
- You can now use the Tao ExDOS product normally on your Windows 7 64-bit installation. No further loading of the Virtual XP Mode is necessary, except for setting up additional shortcuts for DOS applications, software updates or to reinstall the software.
Back to Knowledge Base
Copyright © 1995-2015 Tao Software Development Company. All Rights Reserved.